With Clint Hurdle on the hot seat, I figured it would be a good idea to look at the pros and cons of who might be able to take over the reigns once Hurlde is gone. I have ordered things in the way I see them going down.
Clint Hurdle - There is always the possibilty that Clint Hurdle will retain his job. While seemingly more and more Rockies Fans want Hurdle gone, given this teams history, I can see him sticking around for a while longer.
- Pros - Well there was that thing back in 2007
- Cons - .464 Career winning Percentage as a manager, and a team that seem sto have given up on him. Plus he tends to throw his players under the Bus quite a bit, (see Tulo, Fassaro, et al) and while in the past he has remained probably to loyal to his veteran players such as Keep Chacon as a closer, giving Atkins to many AB's when struggling, recently he seems to be anything but consistant in terms of lineup construction. He also tends to give players such as Barmes and Q! to many at bats.
Jim Tracy - Most of the time, its the bench players that take over after a Manager is canned in the middle of the season.
- Pros - 4 seasons above .500 as manager of the Dodgers from 2001-2004. Holds a .496 winning percentage which looks even better when his years with the Pirates are taken into account
- Cons - The 4 winning seasons he has had are most likely the product of a very good Dodgers team, and even though he has had more winning seasons then Hurdle has, he has been to the playoffs only once while captain of a ship. I'm also not sure if he's the guy that can light a fire under a team.
Don Baylor - A lot of people are wanting the return of Baylor ball, and there are some indications that he was brought in to be a replacement for Hurdle should he be canned.
- Pros - The early Rockies teams always seemed to over achieve for him, and players usually have nothing but good things to say about him. He is the type of Manager that can light a fire under a team and get them to perform.
- Cons - .484 Career record as a manager speaks for itself, however he did win Manager of the year once. He also tends to burn his pitching staff.
Vinny Castilla - A popular fan favorate when he played, and recent manager of the WBC Mexico team. He has indicated that he wants to manage in the Major Leagues one day.
- Pros - Fan Favorate who would help generate fan interest again.
- Cons - No Manager experience outside of the WBC, and even though he works as a special assistant to O'Dowd, he really doesn't have much coaching experience to speak of either.
Tom Runnells - Current Sky Sox manager could wind up in the bigs leagues again
- Pros - He does have experience managing, as he was the Expos Manager in 1991 and 1992. He's been the sky sox manager for several years as well
- Cons - He wasn't exactly a great manager for the expos in 1991 or 1992, and I belive if he was a good candidate he would be managing a major league team by now.
Walt Weiss - His name is alway brought up in Manager conversations among fans.
- Pros - Reconizable name who was a hardball type player when he played.
- Cons - Has indicated in the past that he doesn't want a full time coaching job. For examble he was offered the benching coach job this year and turned it down.