The hex has been broken.
By defeating the Dodgers today, Colorado broke a 10-series losing streak to Los Angeles, winning for the first time in over two years. Ted Lilly also lost for his first time is six starts in Dodger duds.
Jonathan Herrera, who was starting at third base, hit a two out triple and Jason Hammel lined a single up the middle for a 3-0 lead. Eric Young Jr. walked in front of a two-run triple by Dexter Fowler and Carlos Gonzalez belted his second home run to complete a 5-run inning after Ted Lilly sent the first two batters to the dugout.
Matt Belisle got hit around in the eighth inning, as he was charged for three runs. It is the second consecutive time he has been scored upon, but don't think it is all fatigue. This is the fourth time in 2010 Belisle has been touched up in consecutive outings. Runs tend to come in bunches against him.
68 - 61
Games Back (WC): 4.5
Pyth W-L: 69-60
The new speedy 1-2 punch in the order provided two insurance runs in the eighth. Young singled and scored on Fowler's second triple of the game, and Carlos Gonzalez brought Fowler home with a sac fly, his 4th RBI in the game and 90th on the season.
Jason Hammel avoided the big inning for once, working his best with runners on base until being chased in the sixth. He struck out seven and walked three, allowing two runs.
- The Rockies have now won 6 of 7 games, with the only loss coming in Ubaldo Jimenez' start Friday.
- Matt Reynolds threw 1.2 scoreless innings, bringing his streak to 6.1 IP to start his career. I don't know off hand what the Rockies' record is, but I do know Tim Harikkala started his Rockies career with 11.0 scoreless innings.
- Andre Ethier struck out four times.
- Dexter Fowler is built to hit triples, so it isn't surprising that he has set the franchise record for triples with 12 this season, after hitting two today. What is surprising is that he has done it in four months of games. He spent one in AAA and September has yet to be played. (Note: 10 of his 12 triples have come at Coors Field).
- The Rockies have won 20 of the last 25 games at Coors Field in which Jason Hammel has started.
- With the win, the Rockies are seven games over .500 for the first time since Sept 22 following their last game in Florida.
Philadelphia and Atlanta won, while San Diego and St. Louis lost.
Currently, the Giants lead by one in the bottom of the eighth two in the ninth against Arizona.The Giants also won, meaning the win today more or less just helped Colorado hold serve in the wild card race.