CINCINNATI, OH - AUGUST 10: Kevin Millwood #40 of the Colorado Rockies pitches against the Cincinnati Reds at Great American Ball Park on August 10, 2011 in Cincinnati, Ohio. (Photo by Joe Robbins/Getty Images)
- Alex White assigned to AA Tulsa Drillers on a rehab assignment.
White begins to stretch himself out with Tulsa, where he will make four rehab starts before joining the Rockies rotation (he's made two so far). No corresponding move was necessary, as this is a rehab assignment.
- Kent Matthes placed on the 7 Day Disabled List.
- Orlando Sandoval activated from the 7 Day Disabled List.
After spending most of 2009 out on injury, Matthes broke out as a prospect this season. Now with a broken hand, he'll almost certainly miss the rest of the 2011 season, but at least he had a chance to show up on the radar early. Sandoval spent nearly two months on the DL with a "left foot contusion" (such an extraordinary amount of DL time for such a minor injury implies to me that Sandoval has probably been healthy for some time and has been traveling with the team in case he is needed as an injury replacement in a situation much like this).8/5/11
- Sean Jarrett released.
- Joseph Gardner activated from the Reserve List.
Gardner was acquired in the Jimenez trade the previous week. Having settled into Tulsa and ready to pitch, the Rockies had a decision to make on who to let go. After moving reliever Jarrett to and from the Inactive List all season, they decided it was best to finally let him go on his way. Jarrett, a Coloradan, spent almost all of 2008 injured and had mixed results on the road to recovery in 2009 and 2010, including further injuries.
- Dillon Thomas signed and assigned to RK Casper Ghosts.
After quite some time past the two agreeing to terms, fourth round pick Dillon Thomas began has career with the Ghosts.
- Juan Nicasio placed on the 15 Day Disabled List.
- Ryan Spilborghs placed on the 15 Day Disabled List.
- Carlos Gonzalez activated from the 15 Day Disabled List.
- Greg Reynolds recalled to Colorado Rockies.
Nicasio to the DL is the result of his neck injury. He will likely be transferred to the 60 Day DL during September to make room for callups currently not on the roster. Spilborghs has plantar fasciitis in his right foot, which has apparently been bothering him for some time. Gonzalez returns from his rehab assignment to AAA, with Reynolds being recalled once again in the middle of what will be his final option year. The thought was to consider Reynolds as a starter in the stead of Nicasio, but the plan was ultimately abandoned after a poor relief outing and the signing of Kevin Millwood.
- Alfredo Amezaga traded to the Florida Marlins.
- Jesus Merchan acquired from the Florida Marlins and placed on the Reserve List.
- Radames Nazario assigned to AAA Colorado Springs Sky Sox from Temporarily Inactive List.
- Joey Williamson assigned to AAA Colorado Springs Sky Sox from AA Tulsa Drillers and placed on the Reserve List.
Amezaga heads back to Florida, where he has spent the majority of his MLB career. Acquired back was Merchan, a utility player not unlike Amezaga in positional diversity, but the 30 year old is a career minor leaguer. Radames Nazario, who had spent about a month inactive due to lack of room on the AAA roster, was the immediate replacement for Amezaga on the roster, with Merchan's activation delayed until he arrived. Joey Williamson was promoted from a relief role in Tulsa to spot start in the AAA rotation, but was not activated immediately, despite a roster spot from Reynolds' callup available.
- Christian Friedrich assigned to AA Tulsa Drillers from Temporarily Inactive List.
Friedrich went on the TIL last week to make room for Josh Sullivan. His turn in the rotation again, Friedrich was activated to fill Williamson's spot.
- Greg Reynolds optioned to AAA Colorado Springs Sky Sox and placed on the Reserve List.
- Josh Roenicke recalled from AAA Colorado Springs Sky Sox.
It became clear quickly that a long-term roster spot for Reynolds was not ideal, and chose to fill the void with another available relief pitcher in Roenicke, who was claimed off waivers from the Blue Jays earlier in the season. Roenicke is serving his final option year, and this represents his first chance to make an impression to stay with the team into the Spring and fight for a real spot.
- Andrew Johnston assigned to AAA Colorado Springs Sky Sox from Temporarily Inactive List.
- Jesus Merchan activated from the Reserve List.
Johnston, who has been back and forth to the TIl this year, and the now-arrived Merchan filled Roenicke's spot and the leftover spot from the sixth.
- Jason Giambi assigned to AAA Colorado Springs Sky Sox on a rehab assignment.
Regular rehab assignment, no corresponding move, yada yada...
- Cole Garner placed on the 7 Day Disabled List.
- Joey Williamson activated from the Reserve List.
Garner has been struggling with injury regularly this season. He'd been riding since late July without playing, the team clearly hoping he'd be able to heal without a DL stint, but with a start from Williamson necessary, his move to the DL made the most sense.
- Darin Holcomb assigned to AA Tulsa Drillers from Temporarily Inactive List and placed on the 7 Day Disabled List.
- Matt McBride activated from the Reserve List.
- Jeffrey Squier assigned to A- Tri-City Dust Devils.
Holcomb returned to Tulsa for one game after time on the DL with leg problems, before being sent straight out on the TIL to try and rest his back. The back hasn't healed quickly, and thus he was activated from the list in order to go properly onto the DL. Squier continues his bounces back and forth filling in for depth at AA and heading to Tri-City, more along the lines of wher ehe actually belongs systematically. This is his second trip back from Tulsa, and it will not be his last; though it won't be covered in this week's report, he's headed back to Tulsa again on the 11th. McBride is the final player received immediately in the Jimenez to be activated.
- Kevin Millwood signed.
Millwood was signed to a Minor League Contract, but not assigned anywhere, pending his promotion to the Rockies in a couple days.
- Edgar Gonzalez purchased and assigned to Colorado Rockies.
- Matt Lindstrom placed on the 15 Day DL.
- Kevin Millwood purchased and assigned to Colorado Rockies.
- Ian Stewart optioned to AAA Colorado Springs Sky Sox and placed on the Reserve List.
The 40 man roster moves back to full with the purchases of these two players, Millwood to start, and Gonzalez as Millwood insurance (an extra long reliever in case Millwood struggled after not pitching at the MLB level for nearly a year). Gonzalez doesn't profile to be here long, and may be designated for assignment tomorrow to make room for Giambi without even having gotten into a game for the team. Millwood is here to stay for the time being, at least until Alex White is ready. Lindstrom is apparently having nerve issues in his arm, leading to the DL maneuver, while Stewart, still struggling with the team, heads to AAA for the third time this year. His second MLB option is already burned this year.
- Greg Reynolds activated from the Reserve List.
Reynolds returns to a regular starting schedule, replacing Gonzalez on the roster.