FanPost

Fangraphs WAR projections for NL West

I went through the Fangraphs series on Positional Power Rankings and pulled out the WAR projections for each team in the NL West. This isn't the most scientific approach to projections, but I think it gives a good starting point to a topic I've wanted to ask people about for a while: what do you expect the Rockies to produce in terms of WAR?


SP

RP

C

1b

2b

3b

SS

LF

CF

RF


ARI

10.5

3

5

2.5

2

2.5

2

3.5

4.5

6.5

42

COL

8.5

1.5

2.5

1.2

3

2

6.5

4.5

4

2.5

36.2

LAD

14

3

1.5

1.4

1.5

2.5

2.5

1.5

6

3

36.9

SDP

7

3

3

0.7

2

3.5

2.5

2.5

4.5

1.5

30.2

SFG

15

3

4.5

2

2

5

2.5

2.5

3

3

42.5

This would have the Rockies in third, behind the Dbacks and Gints but in a tier above the Dodgers. In general I think this is probably accurate, but as we've discussed the Rockies are a hard team to project this year. I think it would be interesting to come up with a range of WAR for each position rather than a single number. What values do you think would correspond to 20% (floor) and 80% (ceiling) likelihoods for each position? For example, I think there's only a 20% chance that the Rockies get less than 4 WAR from shortstop, but there's an 80% chance they'll get less than 7 WAR. The positions I can see varying greatly from the Fangraphs numbers are 3B, LF, 1B, and starting pitcher.

Eat. Drink. Be Merry. But the above FanPost does not necessarily reflect the attitudes, opinions, or views of Purple Row's staff (unless, of course, it's written by the staff [and even then, it still might not]).

X
Log In Sign Up

forgot?
Log In Sign Up

Please choose a new SB Nation username and password

As part of the new SB Nation launch, prior users will need to choose a permanent username, along with a new password.

Your username will be used to login to SB Nation going forward.

I already have a Vox Media account!

Verify Vox Media account

Please login to your Vox Media account. This account will be linked to your previously existing Eater account.

Please choose a new SB Nation username and password

As part of the new SB Nation launch, prior MT authors will need to choose a new username and password.

Your username will be used to login to SB Nation going forward.

Forgot password?

We'll email you a reset link.

If you signed up using a 3rd party account like Facebook or Twitter, please login with it instead.

Forgot password?

Try another email?

Almost done,

By becoming a registered user, you are also agreeing to our Terms and confirming that you have read our Privacy Policy.

Join Purple Row

You must be a member of Purple Row to participate.

We have our own Community Guidelines at Purple Row. You should read them.

Join Purple Row

You must be a member of Purple Row to participate.

We have our own Community Guidelines at Purple Row. You should read them.

Spinner.vc97ec6e

Authenticating

Great!

Choose an available username to complete sign up.

In order to provide our users with a better overall experience, we ask for more information from Facebook when using it to login so that we can learn more about our audience and provide you with the best possible experience. We do not store specific user data and the sharing of it is not required to login with Facebook.

tracking_pixel_9351_tracker