I am happy that the Rockies are performing so well this season. I expected them to be competitive, but not this early. It seems like Dealin' Dan O'Dowd dealt this team into success. Is there a piece of wood I can knock on nearby? I"m not a superstitious man by nature, but the way the Rockies are going this season I expect them to be in the running for the NL West crown and for Jamie Moyer to be competitive in the Cy Young vote, if not win it.
Are you still there? Should I call 911? A 49 year old winning the Cy Young award? Well, Gaylord Perry did it at 40 and than Roger Clemens broke that record at 42. So, let me lists some reason why he could win it.
- Jamie benefits from being out of baseball for a year. Batters don't know him that well.
- Jamie benefits from being left-handed.
- Jamie benefits from having very slow pitches which are great for Coors Field.
So that's the good news. And now the bad news.
- The last time Jamie Moyer was in the discussion for the Cy Young award was in 2003. He had a 3.27 ERA and won 21 games.
- He is coming off of surgery.
- He pitches at Coors Field.
Please pass the purple-tinted Kool-aid and give me the purple-tinted glasses.
On another note, I believe Jamie Moyer will win 300 games for his career. Does anybody want to take me on that bet?