Just like we did 4 years ago, Purple Row is looking to acquire some off-season talent right now. We'd like to keep offering the best Rockies news and analysis on the web, but in order to do so, we're going to need more writers to produce the content we're looking for! As Russ wrote back in 2009:
Baseball is a long season, and while blogging an entire baseball season is not as demanding as playing one, we've both often felt rushed or not been able to provide all the analysis or attention to detail that we've wanted to. So, this is a move to help diversify the personalities appearing on the front page and to allow us to write more of the stuff that we've wanted to but haven't been able to.
Here's basically what I'm looking for in a content producer:
- An engaging writer with strong opinions who possesses strong written communication skills (yes, including proper grammar/spelling) and a passion for Rockies baseball.
- I need contributors to be able to provide at least 2 posts per week during the regular season -- might be Game Threads/Game Wraps, might be Rockpiles and/or Pebble Reports, could be Know Your Foe/NL West Report, or it might even be a new weekly feature article. There will be deadlines for certain posts, so I'm looking for someone that can adhere to them.
- Assignments will be tailored to your interests -- so if you're a prospect hound, you'll be doing Pebble Reports; if you're a stats hound, you'll be assigned to Counting Rocks; if you're a comedian, you'll write about the major league team. Note that Game Threads/Wraps will likely be part of the job for all new additions.
- Ability to play well with others is a plus -- contributors are expected to engage with our wonderful community members in the comments section while acting as staff members of Purple Row. A moderator role is also a possibility.
Some additional notes related to the process:
- To apply, either leave a comment explicitly stating your interest in the comments section of this post or email me at firstname.lastname@example.org. If you are emailing me, please provide your Purple Row user name if you have one. I will follow up privately with those who express interest with more details. The deadline to apply is 10 pm MST on Saturday the 19th of January so that I have time to set up a writer schedule.
- The next step will be a couple weeks in which prospective contributors show current staff members what they've got.
- You don't have to be an active commenter (or even a Purple Row member at all) to apply. I know that when Andrew, Bryan, and I were added to the staff in 2009 none of us were much more than occasional commenters or lurkers. Lurkers are welcome and encouraged to apply!
- With that said, prior comment history and Fanpost/Fanshot quality will absolutely be taken into consideration. Active commenters are also welcome and encouraged to apply!
- The number of writing spots open is fluid, depending on the quality of the candidates I receive. Purple Row prides itself on being the best Rockies analysis and news source, and part of that is high quality writing.
- I'd like to have the new staff members in place and our writing schedule for 2013 set before spring training games start so we can get them up to speed before Opening Day.
- The pay...well, let's just say that it's a labor of love for all of us on staff. Also, the boss is kind of a jerk. Be forewarned.
I look forward to welcoming in a new crop of fantastic Purple Row contributors!
UPDATE: Forgot to mention this previously, but another need we might be filling on staff with this search is that of a Social Media director -- someone to handle our Facebook/Twitter pages.