After revealing the PuRPs list five players at a time in six installments, it's time to wrap up the series by showing the whole list at once. So without further ado, here is the full Winter 2013 Purple Row community prospect list:
19 ballots were cast in this edition of the PuRPs poll, with 30 points being granted for a first place vote, 29 for second, etc. Until a player was named on 7 ballots, his vote totals were modified on a sliding scale to avoid an individual ballot having too much say over the community forecast -- but none of the above players had that problem, as all 30 players on the PuRPs list were named on at least 7 ballots.
It was a runaway first place performance by Jon Gray in this edition of the PuRPs poll. Gray garnered every first place vote, while Eddie Butler got 17 of the 19 first place votes. David Dahl was a clear third place (14 out of 19 third place votes) and Rosell Herrera was a clear fourth. Behind those four there was a gap, with prospects 5-9 forming a clear tier of players that the electorate felt were potential MLB impact players.
Other clear tiers were 10-12, 13-15, 16-17, 18-21, 22-25, and 26-30. Looking back on past PuRPs lists, it appears that Colorado's farm system is a little weaker than the summer 2013 list, as there were a few prospects lost from the summer list. It looks like the Rockies had a strong MLB draft this year - eight picks made this edition of the list.
- In all, 12 players were on every ballot, 56 players received at least one vote for this PuRPs list, 51 got mentioned on multiple ballots, 31 were named on at least 7 ballots (and therefore were unmodified), and all of the top 25 were named on at least 12 ballots, showing that most of the list was more or less agreed upon by the community, if not necessarily the order. Here is a link to the polling thread.
- Notable players from the summer list that exhausted their ROY eligibility or weren't with the team anymore and therefore were no longer eligible were Corey Dickerson (7), Rafael Ortega (16), Edwar Cabrera (18), Chris Jensen (26), Charlie Culberson (28), and Rob Scahill (30). Because of those dearly departed prospects (RAUL FERNANDEZ?!?!), there was room for everybody else who was previously on the summer list.
- If you've done the math right, you've realized that six new players made this winter's PuRPs list. The new entrants to the list are Raimel Tapia (16), Pat Valaika (21), Jordan Patterson (23), Tim Wheeler (27), Terry McClure (28), and Ryan Warner (30).
Here are the five players who came closest to inclusion on the Winter 2013 PuRPs List:
35. Erick Julio (29.1 points, 6 ballots), 2013 FA (CO), RHP (16)
34. Joel Payamps (37.7 points, 6 ballots), 2010 FA (DR), RHP at Grand Junction (19)
33. Scott Oberg (42.9 points, 6 ballots), 2012 15th round, RHP at Modesto (24)
32. Carlos Herrera (44.6 points, 6 ballots), 2013 FA (VZ), SS (16)
31. Jose Briceno (50 points, 7 ballots), 2010 FA (VZ) C at Grand Junction/Asheville (21)
Breaking the list down by position, there are 12 pitchers (all of them are nominally starters, eight are righties, four are southpaws, two are in the top two but only three are in the top ten), seven outfielders (2-3 of which could play CF, depending on the scout you ask), six middle infielders, one corner infielder, and four catchers. It looks like there will be several top prospects that will be MLB ready all in the next year or two, so it won't be long before we start seeing some of these guys producing for the Rockies.