After revealing the PuRPs list five players at a time in six installments, it's time to wrap up the series by showing the whole list at once. So without further ado, here is the full Summer 2013 Purple Row community prospect list:
21 ballots were cast in this edition of the PuRPs poll, with 30 points being granted for a first place vote, 29 for second, etc. Until a player was named on 7 ballots, his vote totals were modified on a sliding scale to avoid an individual ballot having too much say over the community forecast -- but none of the above players had that problem, as all 30 players on the PuRPs list were named on at least 7 ballots.
It was a two horse race for first place in this edition of the PuRPs poll, between fall 2012's top PuRP and this year's first round draft pick. Jonathan Gray took the top slot with 18 first place votes, while David Dahl was 2nd only 16 points back (he got 2 first place votes). Behind those two there was a gap, with Eddie Butler, Trevor Story, Kyle Parker, and Chad Bettis forming a clear tier. Other clear tiers were 7-11, 12-16, and 17-20. Looking back on past PuRPs lists, it appears that Colorado's farm system is a little deeper than the fall 2012 list, due in part to a strong MLB draft this year - five picks made this edition of the list.
- In all, 14 players were on every ballot, 59 players received at least one vote for this PuRPs list, 51 got mentioned on multiple ballots, 33 were named on at least 7 ballots (and therefore were unmodified), and all of the top 25 were named on at least 15 ballots, showing that most of the list was more or less agreed upon by the community, if not necessarily the order. Here is a link to the polling thread.
- Nolan Arenado (2) was the only player on the fall list that exhausted his ROY eligibility and who therefore was no longer eligible for this list. In addition to Arenado, Tim Wheeler (12), Joe Gardner (19), Harold Riggins (20), Peter Tago (23), Julian Yan (26), Sam Mende (27), Parker Frazier (28), and Ryan Garvey (29) all fell off the list. Gardner, Mende, and Frazier didn't receive a single vote.
- If you've done the math right, you've realized that 9 new players made this summer's PuRPs list, including 5 from this year's draft class. The new entrants to the list are Gray (1), Dan Winkler (14), Alex Balog (15), Ryan McMahon (17), Dom Nunez (21), Ryan Casteel (24), Chris Jensen (26), Sam Moll (27), and Antonio Senzatela (29). Of the four new players that were in Colorado's system when the last poll took place, Winkler made the highest debut at 14.
Here are the five players who came closest to inclusion on the Summer 2013 PuRPs List:
35. Terry McClure (21.4 points, 5 ballots), 2013 8th round, OF at Grand Junction (17)
34. Julian Yan (30.9 points, 6 ballots), 2009 FA (DR), OF at Asheville (21)
33. Ryan Warner (41 points, 7 ballots), 2012 3rd round, RHP at Tri-City (19)
32. Tim Wheeler (45 points, 12 ballots), 2009 1st round, OF at Colorado Springs (25)
31. Joel Payamps (46 points, 7 ballots), 2010 FA (DR), RHP at Grand Junction (19)
Outside of Wheeler, the players listed above are years away from contributing to a Rockies team. The names I'd watch in particular would be Payamps (high bonus and high ceiling out of Latin America) and McClure (very athletic and very young - still 17).
Breaking the list down by position, there are 14 pitchers (13 of them are starters unless you consider Scahill to be one, ten are righties, four are southpaws, two are in the top 5), five outfielders (2-3 of which could play CF, depending on the scout you ask), six middle infielders, one corner infielder, and four catchers. It looks like there will be several top prospects that will be MLB ready all in the next year or two, so it won't be long before we start seeing some of these guys producing for the Rockies.