The Rockies' six-inning tune-up game against themselves on Thursday finished in a 4-4 tie. Here's what we know, thanks to Rockies beat writers Thomas Harding and Patrick Saunders, who did a wonderful job live-tweeting the game:
- One of the teams was named "Boombat." It's unclear what the other team's moniker was.
- Tom Murphy's nickname is apparently "Irish."
- It sounds like Eddie Butler is experiencing sympathy sickness for Nick Masset's pregnant wife:
#Rockies Eddie Butler now hurling. Masset got start because wife is expecting and he wanted to be done early in day.— Patrick Saunders (@psaundersdp) February 27, 2014
- Kent Matthes, Kyle Parker and Matt McBride were among those who knocked in at least one run.
- Jason Pridie and Jackson Williams were also in that category. The duo hit back-to-back home runs off of Raul Fernandez, whose spot on the 40-man roster was questioned by many. It will be interesting to see how he handles MLB-quality hitters this spring.
- Butler and Jon Gray looked good, says Saunders and Harding. Butler worked around some traffic and allowed a run in two innings but stuck out a batter and picked off a runner. Gray loaded the bases with nobody out in his first inning but induced back-to-back grounders, one of which resulted in a double play, to escape. In his second frame, the Rockies' 2013 first-rounder struck out two while setting his teammates down in order.
- Tyler Chatwood struggled in his return to the hill. His half of the first inning ended with one out because of a pitch count limit after surrendering a couple of runs. Chatwood was much better in the second inning, inducing three ground-outs in a 1-2-3 frame.
- Jayson Aquino was involved in a scary moment when a liner off the bat Rafael Ynoa grazed the left side of his head. Aquino was removed from the game and taken to the hospital for a possible concussion test, according to Saunders.
Colorado Rockies (@Rockies) February 27, 2014
And, of course, some solid commenting in the GameThread from the Purple Row community:
"Why does God hate our pitchers?" -Junction Rox
"Can't even beat ourselves :l" -Sjamb
"Nothing I like seeing more when opening a new thread than Tyler Chatwood's gorgeous face" -PurpleToPurple
"Try thinking good things. It feels nice." -Drew Creasman
Now, on to tomorrow for some real exhibition baseball!
|Roll Call Info
|Commenter list||BikeChess, BostonTransplant, Bryan Kilpatrick, Claytoniss, DAWNMARIE01, DomP, Drew Creasman, Dutch1008,ES46NE10, Jay Tymkovich, Junction Rox, Kevin V. Minor, Muzia, PioneerSkies, PurpleToPurple, Rockies7935,RockyMountainWay91, Roxfan24, Russ Oates, SDcat09, Sjamb, TheTulowitzkiGeneration, Thnikkaman, butterfly2,charismos, chickenfoof, chucknazty4eva, dyzz, holly96, idj2, jrockies, papality, rockiesfan4ever, sleepyteak|