Baseball Beginnings and Sports Illustrated
John Klima at Baseball Beginnings has Tyler Matzek's first interview since signing with the Rockies. In it Matzek admits that he really was gunning for $7 million, but at the end of negotiations thought his best option was to start professional baseball in the hope of reaching the majors quickly. It's very rare to get a high school prospect with as advanced an arsenal and polish as he has, so a rapid move through the system seems quite possible.
John Manuel, who writes for Baseball America and Sports Illustrated, says that the Rockies were one of the big draft deadline winners because of the Matzek deal. Thank you Tyler for compromising, and thank you Rockies for sticking your necks out on this bonus.
- Jason Marquis has been a mentor to other Rockies pitchers this season. Other notes on Jason Hammel's supporting his family in a period of crisis and on Joe Beimel's relief to be moving out of Washington.
- In a second note post, the Post talks about the switch of Carlos Gonzalez to the leadoff slot in the lineup, Garrett Atkins' defensive work, and a mention that Juan Rincon and Joel Peralta are likely to get September promotions.
- Rockies steam past Nationals, 4-3 - The Denver Post
Rockies official site:
- More on the batting order switcharound for Gonzalez and Dexter Fowler
- Aaron Cook will toss a pair of bullpen sessions between starts feeling the extra work will help him bounce back from Sunday's rough outing in Florida. It's a key series with the Giants, we need Cookie to be sharp.
- Brad Hawpe also needs to be sharp, the Rockies hope he's past his slump.
- Gonzalez's homer lifts Rockies over Nats | ColoradoRockies.com: News