A quick note: the Ghosts placed pitchers Trevor Gibson and Jonathan Vargas on the Minors 60 Day Disabled List last week. I didn't find out until after I published last week's article. Neither player has pitched this season.
- Andrew Johnston placed on the Temporarily Inactive List.
- Chris Nelson activated from the 7 Day Disabled List.
Nelson was recovering from a strained hamstring since July 6th, ultimately not missing much time. The Sky Sox were carrying an extra pitcher, and chose to move reliever Johnston to the TIL. The former Sky Sox closer also spent June 10th - 21st on the TIL
- Cole Garner optioned to AAA Colorado Springs Sky Sox and placed on the Reserve List.
- Matt Pagnozzi optioned to AAA Colorado Springs Sky Sox.
- Dexter Fowler recalled from AAA Colorado Springs Sky Sox.
- Eliezer Alfonzo purchased from AAA Colorado Springs Sky Sox and assigned to Colorado Rockies.
- Charlie Blackmon transferred to the 60 Day Disabled List.
Garner's first MLB option is already official this year. This was Pagnozzi's first trip on optional assignment this year. It is the second of his career, and it will be officially burned as of August 3rd. Garner was placed on the Reserve List, as AAA needed another roster space for a second move (see AAA below).
Fowler took Garner's spot at the MLB level. His second MLB option was burned during this four assignment. Alfonzo becomes the 44th player to land a spot on the 40 Man Roster, thanks to four players on the 60 Day Disabled List. Outfielder Charlie Blackmon, suffering from a broken foot, became that fourth player to make room for Alfonzo. THe backup catcher switch allows the team to take a look at Alfonzo, whose offensive production with the Sky Sox caught their eye. By my calculations, Alfonzo is out of options; his last optional assignment was exactly 20 days long, meaning it should have counted. I am also unsure of Alfonzo's service time. By my count, it is 30 more days than Cot's lists, but I am using their count for now.
- Ryan Rohlinger activated from the 7 Day Disabled list.
Taking Fowler's spot on the AAA roster is Rohlinger, who missed a week on the DL. His ailment was never officially reported.7/16/11
- Esmil Rogers assigned to AAA Colorado Spring Sky Sox on a rehab assignment.
- Warren Schaeffer placed on the Temporarily Inactive List.
- Willy Taveras placed on the Temporarily Inactive List.
- Cole Garner activated from the Reserve List.
Rogers began his rehab in AAA last month, but re-injured himself. After further time off, Rogers was assigned to Tulsa for rehab. He now returns to the Sky Sox to prepare for reactivation to the majors. Interestingly, the Sky Sox made two roster moves, when only one was needed for the activation of Garner, since Rogers himself doesn't actually occupy a roster spot as an MLB rehab assignment. Schaeffer, a temporary fixture at AAA , as well as outfielder Willy Taveras joined the TIL.
- Michael Mitchell placed on the 7 Day Disabled List.
- Bronson Sardinha assigned to AA Tulsa Drillers from Temporarily Inactive List.
A sprained ankle for Mitchell, Tulsa's fourth outfielder, opened another opportunity for Sardinha, who is clearly being considered an organizational reserve at this point, to rejoin the Drillers. Sardinha spent nearly four weeks on the TIL before being returned for this transaction.
- Benjamin Hughes assigned to RK Casper Ghosts.
The Rockies' 10th round 2011 draft pick signed on June 30th. He has pitched exclusively out of relief so far. No corresponding move was necessary; the Ghosts remain under their roster limit.
No organizational transactions.
No organizational transactions.
- Andrew Johnston assigned to AAA Colorado Spring Sky Sox from Temporarily Inactive List.
- Warren Schaeffer assigned to AAA Colorado Springs Sky Sox from Temporarily Inactive List.
- Greg Reynolds placed on the Temporarily Inactive List.
Nothing much to say here. Bullpen arm replaces starter for a bit. Schaeffer refills the same roster spot he left earlier in the week, which was never filled.
- Nick Schnaitmann assigned to A Asheville Tourists from A+ Modesto Nuts and placed on the Reserve List.
- Alan DeRatt assigned to A+ Modesto Nuts from A Asheville Tourists.
After brief stints with the Drillers and Tourists to fill spot starts, DeRatt returns to his main level this season at A+. The team tried Schnaitmann in multiple roles with the Nuts, but it hasn't worked out for the pitcher. He returns to Asheville where he spent 2010, but was not activated yet, since DeRatt's roster spot was needed for a different player (see below).
- Tyler Matzek assigned to A Asheville Tourists from Temporarily Inactive List.
Matzek returns to the Asheville rotation with a new delivery and, hopefully, new confidence after a 3 week trip to Southern California to work on his mechanics with old mentors. He replaces DeRatt, promoted back to Modesto, on the roster.
- Jordan Ribera placed on the 7 Day Disabled List.
- Jesse Meaux placed on the 7 Day Disabled List.
No official injury statements were released for the two 2011 draftees (Update: looks like a groin strain for Ribera). Ribera had seen plenty of time at first base and designated hitter, while Meaux, who had only recently been assigned to the Dust Devils, has only seen one professional relief appearance thus far.