- Erik Wetzel placed on the 7 Day Disabled List.
- Darin Holcomb placed on the 7 Day Disabled List.
- Mike Zuanich activated from the 7 Day Disabled List.
A two for one deal. Both Holcomb (sprained knee) and Wetzel (broken nose) sustained injuries, but the only immediately available player to be activated was Zuanich, who had been recovering from a sprained ankle he sustained in late June, just after being promoted. The Drillers would fill the second spot the following day.
- Stephen Head released.
- Nick Schnaitmann activated from the Reserve List.
Schnaitmann has been sent to Asheville from Modesto's roster the previous day to make room for Alan DeRatt, who in turn had left Asheville to make room for Tyler Matzek. Schnaitmann arrived in Asheville to make this start, and had to be activated. The casualty was converted pitcher Stephen Head, who was a nice story through the season so far. He spent all of the first half in Extended Spring Training. After doing well in brief time with the Dust Devils, they gave him a try in Asheville, where he faltered. The organization no longer considered his roster spot worth the experiment.7/22/11
- Carlos Gonzalez placed on the 15 Day Disabled List.
- Eric Young Jr. recalled from AAA Colorado Springs Sky Sox.
Aggravating his wrist injury, Gonzalez headed to the DL. Young rejoins the Rockies for the second time this season. Gonzalez can return as early as August 4th.
- Warren Schaeffer assigned to AA Tulsa Drillers.
- Willy Taveras assigned to AAA Colorado Springs Sky Sox from Temporarily Inactive List.
Schaeffer returns to AA, where he has spent most of the 2011 season, though it wouldn't be for long. Taveras' return to AAA would also be short lived. He spent just under a week on the TIL. With both Young Jr. and Schaeffer leaving the roster, the Sky Sox played one man short for a time.
- Willy Taveras added to the 7 Day Disabled List.
- Scott Beerer assigned to AAA Colorado Springs Sky Sox from AA Tulsa Drillers.
Taveras heads to the disabled list with a right hamstring strain. The 29 year old converted outfielder Beerer reaches the AAA level for the first time in his career. The Sky Sox are still one player short.
- Josh Sullivan placed on the Temporarily Inactive List.
- Sean Jarrett assigned to AA Tulsa Drillers from Temporarily Inactive List.
- Michael Mitchell activated from the 7 Day Disabled List.
Sullivan heads to the TIL once again to give reliever Sean Jarrett, also regularly on the TIL this year, another chance to pitch from the Drillers bullpen. Outfielder Michael Mitchell spent about two weeks on the DL with a sprained ankle. He replaces the promoted Beerer on the roster.
- Eric Stults designated for assignment.
- Esmil Rogers activated from the 15 Day Disabled List.
With Rogers healthy at last after nearly three months on the disabled list, two separate injuries and three rehab assignments, the Rockies chose to put him in long relief rather than back into the rotation. The obvious replacement was Eric Stults. The reliever has no option years having used them all in the Dodgers organization, and had to be designated for assignment. The removal of Stults leaves the 40 Man Roster at 39, with 43 total players signed to MLB contracts. Stults has never been outrighted in his career, and also does not have enough service time to reject a minor league assignment, meaning if he clears waivers, he cannot refuse assignment in the minors through the rest of the season, when he can declare MiLB free agency. The decision is due by August 3rd.
UPDATE: Stults' fate is now known. See below.
- Greg Reynolds assigned to AAA Colorado Springs Sky Sox from Temporarily Inactive List.
Filling the empty roster spot on the Sky Sox roster was Reynolds, who spent a week on the TIL, activated to make the start.
No transactions. Jason Giambi was placed on the DL during the game, defaulting it to the 27th, even though the move was submitted on the 26th.
- Jason Giambi placed on the 15 Day Disabled List.
- Chris Nelson recalled from AAA Colorado Springs Sky Sox.
Not much to say here; leg injury for Giambi, the Rockies chose to recall Nelson for easy depth. Nelson and Young Jr. both returning to the club gives them further opportunities to earn credibility before both run out of options next season.
- Warren Schaeffer assigned to AAA Colorado Springs Sky Sox from AA Tulsa Drillers.
- UPDATE: Eric Stults outrighted to AAA Colorado Springs Sky Sox and placed on the Reserve List.
After less than a week back with the Drillers, the Sky Sox once again needed some infield depth. Schaeffer replaces the recalled Nelson on the roster.
UPDATE: Stults made it through waivers and was outrighted last night. He was not activated, but may be for 7/28, I've not yet heard.
- Jeffrey Squier assigned to AA Tulsa Drillers from A- Tri-City Dust Devils.
The 24 year old Squier has never played above short season play before. This promotion is almost certainly strictly temporary, giving Tulsa and extra player while they wait for a more permanent addition. This is the second time we've seen a short season player promoted to the Drillers, the other being Ghosts catcher Michael Ramirez while Wilin Rosario was on the TIL for the Futures Game. Pulling players from these leagues for temporary periods of time makes sense, as the short season teams have many more players than Modesto and Asheville do, meaning you can just pull one out and not worry about having to find yet another replacement for each team up the chain.