- Logan Mahon assigned to Casper Ghosts.
The Rockies 2011 22nd round draft pick had signed back in mid-June, just barely a week after the draft. He wasn't assigned to a team until now, possibly due to injury though I can't confirm that. First rounder Tyler Anderson is now the only 2011 Rockies draftee not assigned to a team.
- Mike Jacobs released.
Jacobs was placed on the TIL last week, possibly before the team learned that Jacobs had tested positive for human growth hormone, or possibly because of it. Either way, the same day the story was released publicly, Jacobs was released from the organization.
- Edgar Gonzalez outrighted to Colorado Springs Sky Sox and placed on the Reserve List.
After being designated for assignment the previous week, Gonzalez cleared waivers and accepted assignment to AAA. As usual, he was not activated immediately, giving him time to relocate.
- Blake McDade released.
- Jarod Berggren assigned to Tri-City Dust Devils from Casper Ghosts.
McDade, 2010's 20th round pick, was struggling in Tri-City, both with performance and in actually managing to earn playing time. The 21 year old outfielder Berggren, 2011's 30th round selection, was having a decent season with Casper albeit in limited playing time, joined the Dust Devils, joining several of the older Ghosts that have seen late season promotions to Tri-City.
- Ryan Spilborghs assigned to Colorado Springs Sky Sox on a rehab assignment.
Spilborghs is expected to spend the rest of the month with the Sky Sox and be activated when the rosters expand. Rehab assignment, so no corresponding move.
- Cole Garner placed on the 7 Day Disabled List.
- Radames Nazario activated from the 7 Day Disabled List.
Both Garner and Nazario have seen several stints on the DL this year. Garner is recovering from a hand sprain. I do not know how serious the injury is. Worst case for Garner, it will interfere with his chances of getting a September callup. Nazario spent just about a week on the DL for an undisclosed reason.
- Matt Lindstrom assigned to Colorado Springs Sky Sox on a rehab assignment.
- Huston Street assigned to Colorado Springs Sky Sox on a rehab assignment.
The Springs' roster increased even further, with two more MLB players making trips for rehab assignments. Unlike Spilborghs, both of these players could be activated before the roster expansion.Once again, no moves necessary, though AAA did have some other transactions on the day.
- Billy Buckner placed on the 7 Day Disabled List.
- Edgar Gonzalez activated from the Reserve List.
Gonzalez returns to a starting role with the Sox, activated to make the start,. Headed to the DL is Buckner, with elbow inflammation.
- Jeffrey Squier placed on the 7 Day Disabled List.
- Matt McBride activated from the 7 Day Disabled List.
After several times being removed from the Tulsa roster back to Tri-City only to be immediately recalled due to injury, this time it was Squier's turn to fall to injury, though specifically what injury wasn't reported. McBride, who strained his oblique the previous week, returns to active duty.
- Edgmer Escalona placed on the 15 Day Disabled List.
- Juan Nicasio transferred to the 60 Day Disabled List.
- Alex White activated from the 60 Day Disabled List.
White becomes the first player acquired in the Jimenez trade to play for the Rockies. In order to activate White, room had to be made on both rosters. Nicasio to the 60 was a no brainer, as he will not be returning this year. Escalona moves to the DL with a rotator cuff strain. He will be eligible to be activated during the roster expansion, if healthy enough.
- Kevin Kouzmanoff acquired from Oakland Athletics, assigned to Colorado Springs Sky Sox and placed on the Reserve List.
- Ian Stewart placed on the 7 Day Disabled List.
- Andy Graham activated from the 7 Day Disabled List.
Stewart has been dealing with wrist problems since being optioned down two weeks ago. He was kept off the DL for as long as possible, but was basically unable to play. Graham went on the DL after suffering a bruise on his arm, from which he has recovered. Kouzmanoff was outrighted earlier in the year by Oakland, so when he was acquired, he was still signed to his MiLB contract. His appearance on the Sky Sox roster here was just a formality before being purchased the following day.
- Drew Pomeranz placed on the 7 Day Disabled List.
- Josh Sullivan activated from the 7 Day Disabled List.
After just one start, an unlucky break for Pomeranz due to an emergency appendectomy sidelines him for what is expected to be the season. Sullivan went on the DL when Pomeranz was activated with a light ankle sprain. The two swap spaces again here.
- Chris Nelson optioned to Colorado Springs Sky Sox.
- Ryan Rohlinger designated for assignment.
- Kevin Kouzmanoff purchased from Colorado Springs Sky Sox and assigned to Colorado Rockies.
Kouzmanoff will be under team control on a MLB contract for two more seasons, making him a potential third base option next season or beyond. The team wants to give him opportunities to showcase his potential in that area, so adding him to the roster now instead of waiting until the roster expansion was a priority. Nelson was the 25 man victim; the team intends to have Nelson finish out the AAA season (which lasts just under a week into September), before being recalled back to the Rockies for the final three weeks of the season.
The 40 Man casualty was waiver claim Ryan Rohlinger. Rohlinger never joined the Rockies this season. He has not been outrighted before. If he clears waivers this time, he reverts to his MiLB contract while being unable to declare free agency. As a 2006 draftee, Rohlinger would be returning to the Rockies organization next season as well, able to declare free agency after the 2012 season. Again, this is assuming he clears waivers.
Upon being DFA'd, Rohlinger was removed from the AAA roster, even though he still shows up on their official page; yet another example of why it benefits to keep such close track and not rely on the official sites. He will return if he clears. Nelson may have gone on the Reserve List, but he didn't have to with the other roster spot cleared. If I learn differently, I'll update the post.