After revealing the PuRPs list five players at a time in six installments, it's time to wrap up the fall list by showing the full list. So without further ado, here is the full Fall 2012 Purple Row community prospect list:
23 ballots were cast in this edition of the PuRPs poll, with 30 points being granted for a first place vote, 29 for second, etc. Until a player was named on 8 ballots, his vote totals were modified on a sliding scale to avoid an individual ballot having too much say over the community forecast -- but none of the above players had that problem, as all 30 players on the PuRPs list were named on at least 8 ballots.
It was a two horse race for first place in this edition of the PuRPs poll, between Spring's top PuRP and this year's first round draft pick. David Dahl took the top slot with 11 first place votes, while Nolan Arenado was 2nd only 3 points back (he got 9 first place votes). Behind those two, Trevor Story was a clear 3rd place and Kyle Parker was obviously in 4th, then 5-9 were a clear tier, as were 10-14 (all of which were named on at least 22 ballots). Looking back on past PuRPs lists, it appears that Colorado's farm system is a little thinner than the Spring list, due in part to the MLB graduation of five PuRPs to MLB.
- In all, 12 players were on every ballot, 64 players received at least one vote for this PuRPs list, 52 got mentioned on multiple ballots, 35 were named on at least 8 ballots (and therefore were unmodified), and all of the top 17 were named on at least 20 ballots, showing that the half or so of the list was more or less agreed upon by the community, if not necessarily the order. Here is a link to the polling thread.
- Players on the spring list that have exhausted their ROY eligibility and who therefore were no longer eligible were Drew Pomeranz (2), Christian Friedrich (6), Josh Rutledge (7), Charlie Blackmon (15), and DJ LeMahieu (18). In addition to those five players, David Kandilas (24), Kent Matthes (25), Ben Paulsen (26), and Dillon Thomas (28) all fell off the list.
- If you've done the math right, you've realized that 9 new players made this fall's PuRPs list, including 5 from this year's draft class. The new entrants to the list are Dahl (1), Eddie Butler (13), Tom Murphy (15), Wilfredo Rodriguez (17), Taylor Featherston (22), Charlie Culberson (24), Christian Bergman (25), Julian Yan (26), and Ryan Garvey (30). Of the four new players that were in Colorado's system when the last poll took place, Featherston made the highest debut at 22.
Here are the five players who came closest to inclusion on the Fall 2012 PuRPs List:
35. Ryan Warner (40 points, 9 ballots), 2012 3rd round, RHP at Grand Junction (18)
34. Kent Matthes (48.1 points, 7 ballots), 2009 4th round, OF at Tulsa (25)
33. Miguel Dilone (51 points, 12 ballots), 2011 FA (DR), 2B at DSL (19)
32. David Kandilas (68 points, 9 ballots), 2009 FA (AU), OF at Asheville (22)
31. Max White (70 points, 13 ballots), 2012 2nd round, OF at Grand Junction (19)
Most of the five listed above are years away from contributing to a Rockies team. The names I'd watch in particular would be White (who had an abysmal pro debut, but has a 2nd round pedigree) and Dilone (who slugged very well in a league where that doesn't happen very often and who has MLB bloodlines).
Breaking the list down by position, there are 12 pitchers (11 of them are starters, eight are righties, four are southpaws, none are in the top 5), 7 outfielders (2-4 of which could play CF, depending on the scout you ask), 6 middle infielders (if you classify Herrera and Mende as such), 2 corner infielders, and 3 catchers. It looks like there will be several top prospects that will be MLB ready all in the next year or two, so it won't be long before we start seeing some of these guys producing for the Rockies.