The Colorado Rockies are 37-64 and on pace for a 103 loss season, eight games worse than the franchise's worst mark. In response, the Rockies are making a change in their front office, though the specifics of the move seem to inspire more questions than answers.
After rumors spread last night that Dan O'Dowd was reassigned persisted into the morning,Troy Renck batted away the smoke to get the details of the front office shift. Here is what we know:
- Dan O'Dowd was not fired.
- Dan O'Dowd will remain the Rockies general manager by name.
- Dan O'Dowd will still oversee all baseball operations, trades, free agents, waiver claims and other player acquisitions.
Now for the changes:
- Dan O'Dowd will be shifting his focus to the minor leagues and player development.
- Bill Geivett has been named Senior Vice President of Major League Operations,continuing his rise in the organization. Geivett will work closely with Jim Tracy but will still answer to Dan O'Dowd.