It's that time of year again! Major League Baseball awards season unofficially kicks off on Tuesday night with the announcement of the Gold Glove winners in each league (5 p.m. MT, ESPN2), continuing through with the MVP recipients being disclosed later in the month.
Those awards are great, but here at SB Nation, we have our own accolades to hand out. Of course, we can't do it without your help, so let's start putting our heads together to figure out the nominees for each of the following categories (I've given a few examples to help inspire you):
- Funniest moment (Rosario's Little League home run, etc.)
- Most regrettable moment (Dickerson's faceplant and ensuing pickle, etc.)
- Defensive play of the year (Barnes robs a homer in San Diego)
- Most important hit of the year (Cuddyer completes cycle vs. Reds)
- Best pitching appearance of the year (Matzek shutout, Lyles vs. Rangers, etc.)
- Team of the year (Giants, Royals, Angels, etc.)
For each of the first five categories, let us know who/what you think should represent the Rockies. It can be one nominee, five nominees -- whatever. For team of the year, the Rockies and their 96 losses obviously aren't going to make the cut, but who should? The World Series champion Giants? The surprising Royals? The dominant Angels? Let's hear it.
Beginning this week, we'll gradually unveil the nominees for each category (with your help, of course), put it to a vote, then announce the Purple Row winners on Nov. 17. From there, SB Nation's MLB staff will choose the four or five best nominees in each category and select winners to be unveiled at a later date.
Sound like fun? I think so. Let's get to it!