After revealing the Purple Row community Rockies prospect list one at a time, it's time to wrap up the series by showing the whole list at once. So without further ado, here is the full Winter 2014/2015 Purple Row community prospect list:
In this edition of the PuRPs poll, 16 ballots were cast, with 30 points being granted for a first place vote, 29 for second, etc. Until a player was named on six ballots, his vote totals were modified on a sliding scale to avoid an individual ballot having too much say over the community forecast -- none of the players on this edition of the list was listed on fewer than six ballots.
It was a runaway first place performance by Jon Gray in this edition of the PuRPs poll. Gray garnered 12 of the 16 first place votes and 476 of 480 possible points, while David Dahl got three and Eddie Butler one. Dahl and Butler were very closely matched, but all but one of Dahl's votes were in the top three while Butler had more down-ballot votes. Beyond those two, Kyle Freeland was a clear fourth and Raimel Tapia an easy fifth. Tyler Anderson edged out Ryan McMahon for sixth, while Trevor Story just eclipsed Forrest Wall for eighth.
There was a pretty good consensus about the top nine prospects, forming a clear tier of players that the electorate felt were potential MLB impact players. Similarly prospects 10-17 were consensus members of the PuRPs list, as all of them were named on each ballot. Indeed, there seemed to be consensus across most of the list, as only two PuRPs were named on less than 10 ballots. Looking back on past PuRPs lists, it appears that Colorado's farm system is about the same as the summer 2014 or a little weaker.
This time around we lost PuRPs No. 10 Tyler Matzek (MLB service time), No. 13 Dan Winkler (Rule 5), No. 26 Taylor Featherston (Rule 5), and No. 28 Chris Martin (trade). Both Jose Briceno (No. 24) and Jayson Aquino (No. 17) were in the organization at the time of the voting (and Aquino might still come back), so they will remain on the list for now. From this June's draft, four picks made this edition of the list.
Some more notes:
- In all, 17 players were on every ballot, 59 players received at least one vote for this PuRPs list (down from 68 last time), 42 got mentioned on multiple ballots, 32 were named on at least six ballots (and therefore were unmodified), and all of the top 27 were named on at least 10 ballots, showing that most of the list was more or less agreed upon by the community, if not necessarily the order. Here is a link to the polling thread.
- If you've done the math right, you've realized that four new players made this winter's PuRPs list. The new entrants to the list are Briceno (24, one and done), Hamlet Marte (25), Jairo Diaz (28), and Johendi Jiminian (29).
Here are the five players who came closest to inclusion on the Winter 2014/2015 PuRPs List:
35. Michael Tauchman (8 points, 2 ballots), 2013 10th Round, OF at High A (24)
34. Erick Julio (18 points, 4 ballots), 2013 FA (CO), RHP in DSL (18)
33. Scott Oberg 26.7 points, 5 ballots), 2012 15th Round, RHP in AA (24)
32. Ben Paulsen (37 points, 6 ballots), 2009 3rd Round, 1B/OF in AAA/MLB (27)
31. Emerson Jimenez (44 points, 8 ballots), 2011 FA (DR), SS in Low A (20)
Breaking the list down by position, there are 12 pitchers (11 of them are nominally starters, six are righties, five are southpaws, three are in the top four but only four are in the top 13), four middle infielders, five outfielders (three wo of which could play CF, depending on the scout you ask), six catchers, and three corner infielders. It looks like there will be several top prospects that will be MLB ready all in the next year or two, so it won't be long before we start seeing some of these guys producing for the Rockies.
With that, I declare the Winter 2014/2015 Purple Row Prospects List complete. Happy prospecting!