After revealing the Purple Row community's Colorado Rockies top prospect list one at a time, it's time to wrap up the series by showing the whole list at once. So without further ado, here is the full Summer 2015 Top 30 PuRPs list:
In this edition of the PuRPs poll, 37 ballots were cast, with 30 points being granted for a first place vote, 29 for second, etc. Until a player was named on 12 ballots, his vote totals were modified on a sliding scale to avoid an individual ballot having too much say over the community forecast, though none of the players on this edition of the list were listed on fewer than 12 ballots.
It was a runaway first place performance by Jon Gray in this edition of the PuRPs poll. Gray garnered 29 of the 37 first place votes and 1,098 of 1,110 possible points, while David Dahl got four, Brendan Rodgers three, and Ryan McMahon one. Gray, Dahl, Rodgers, and McMahon were a clear top four ahead of the pack. Beyond those guys, Kyle Freeland held off Raimel Tapia and Trevor Story for fifth, while Forrest Wall, Antonio Senzatela, and Mike Nikorak rounded out the top 10.
There was a pretty good consensus about the top 11 prospects, forming a clear tier of players that the electorate felt were potential MLB impact players, and the next two prospects were also named on each ballot. Indeed, there seemed to be consensus across most of the list, as only one PuRP was named on less than 21 ballots. Looking back on past PuRPs lists, it appears that Colorado's farm system is stronger than it has been since I started charting it in Spring 2010 -- and that's without including the prospects from the Troy Tulowitzki trade (more on that tomorrow).
From the Winter 2014 list, Eddie Butler (3), Ben Paulsen (HM), and Scott Oberg (HM) exhausted their rookie eligibility and were not eligible for this list. In addition, Jayson Aquino (17) and Jose Briceno (24) were no longer in the organization and therefore were also ineligible for this list. From this June's draft, four picks made this edition of the list.
Some more notes:
- In all, 13 players were on every ballot, 59 players received at least one vote for this PuRPs list (same as last time), 51 got mentioned on multiple ballots, 32 were named on at least 12 ballots (and therefore were unmodified), and all of the top 29 were named on at least 21 ballots, showing that most of the list was more or less agreed upon by the community, if not necessarily the order. Here is a link to the polling thread.
- If you've done the math right, you've realized that eight new players made this summer's PuRPs list. The new entrants to the list are Rodgers (3), Nikorak (10), Lambert (21), Nevin (24), Gonzalez (26), Carrizales (27), Jemiola (28), and Musgrave (30).
Here are the five players who came closest to inclusion on the Summer 2015 PuRPs List:
35. David Hill (28.5 points, 9 ballots), 2015 4th Round, RHP at Short Season A (21)
34. Shane Carle (42.5 points, 10 ballots), 2014 Trade, RHP in AA (23)
33. Carlos Estevez 55.5 points, 9 ballots), 2011 FA (DR), RHP in AA (22)
32. Wes Rogers (96 points, 21 ballots), 2014 4th Round, OF in Low A (21)
31. Sam Moll (99 points, 12 ballots), 2013 3rd Round, LHP in AA (23)
Breaking the list down by position, there are 11 pitchers (all of them are nominally starters, eight are righties, three are southpaws, two are in the top five but only seven are in the top 20), five middle infielders, six outfielders (four of which could play CF, depending on the scout you ask), four catchers, and four corner infielders. It looks like there will be several prospects that will be MLB ready all in the next year or two, so it won't be long before we start seeing some of these guys producing for the Rockies.
With that, I declare the Summer 2015 Purple Row Prospects List complete. Happy prospecting!